Thursday, July 14, 2011

How to teach my raw-fed dog to chew?

It may sound strange, but my 7.4 lb Pom/Chi acts like she doesn't know what to do with large pieces of meat or a bone. Today I bought some organic chicken drumsticks at trader joes just to see if she'd eat poultry and make sure she did ok on it (she hated paw naturaw chicken and turkey patties and did poorly on them) before i ordered the really good stuff from Tropical Traditions. She liked it and her energy has been good, but she won't really chew it herself. I have to cut off tiny pieces at a time for her to eat it. She seems to really want it, barking at me, etc. But when I tried to put the whole thing in her dish she just licked it forever and walked away. I tried teasing her with it, cuting chunks 99% off so she only had to make one bite, etc. She just does not want to bite it or rip a piece off. It's like she's being gentle lol. How do I get her to go to town on it? I want her to gnaw the bone at least enough to clean her teeth. I also brush them daily, but I know bones are best for dental benefits. I used to be opposed to bones as a choking hazard, but I would at the very least like her to eat necks, and she won't put anything at all into her mouth unless it's already bite sized

No comments:

Post a Comment